Danny King formed Pace Motorsport following an extremely varied and ultimately very successful career with Prodrive and Ultimate Motorsport.
There was a distinct niche developing in the engineering support market for a freelance engineer that could bring something extra to a motorsport team.
Whilst at Prodrive, he began as a designer as part of the Subaru World Rally Team, before progressing to Senior Event Engineer, and subsequently Performance Analysis Engineer within SWRT.
After reluctantly leaving Prodrive to take up a Race Engineer role within Ultimate Motorsports World Series by Renault team, he went on to help driver Esteban Guerrieri score two pole positions and a race win in his first season – an unprecedented feat in the series for an engineer and virtual rookie driver.
There then followed a very successful period with PalmerSport as Engineering Manager for the Formula 2 project with total responsibility for the engineering of the fleet, and the 2009/10 development programme.
Motopark Academy was the next team to benefit from his services, with their strongest showing to date in the German F3 championship and the F3 Euroseries championship.
Most recently, legendary team Carlin have secured the services of Pace Motorsport.
The concept of Pace Motorsport evolved during his time at Prodrive, and was crystallised following the racing experiences with Ultimate – to provide a more complete engineering support service, and to improve current thinking with regard to performance analysis to generate a competitive edge.
Personal Career Achievements include:
Carlin as Race and Performance Engineer (2011) -
• Pole position and the highest event points haul of the Carlin GP3 season in Istanbul running Tom Dillmann
• The best qualifying and race results for the team with Tom Dillmann (Istanbul) and Callum MacLeod (Monza) in the 2011 GP3 championship
• Taking performance and strategy analysis to the next level as part of the Carlin WSbR team. As a team, we dominated both the 2011 Team’s and Driver's Championships, and won the unofficial pitstop championship
• Strong working relationships built with both drivers (Wickens & Vergne) and the engineering team
Working as a freelance designer (2010-11) -
• Designed front & rear quick release jacks and vacuum brake bleed & water heater rigs for Team Lotus F1
AtechReid GP as Race Engineer in Superleague Formula (2010) -
• Pole position (first ever for the team) and a race win for Alvaro Parente (FC Porto) in the Beijing Cup, and a further dominant race win in the season finale at Navarra
Motopark Academy as Race, Performance and Design Engineer (2010) -
• Helped the team to its first win in the 2010 F3 Euroseries with Kevin Magnussen in Valencia
• Scored a podium with Rene Binder in Assen (ATS) with a perfectly executed tyre strategy
PalmerSport as F2 Engineering Manager (2009) -
• Positively impacted on various reliability issues to improve reliability to consistently above 96% for the fleet
• Planned and managed 2010 F2 development programme
Race Engineer as part of Ultimate Motorsport WSR squad -
• Gained 2 pole positions (Le Mans, Catalunya) and one race win (Catalunya Feature Race) in the 2008 WSR
• Helped the team to 2nd in the Teams Championship in our first season, with 4 wins, 6 podiums and 2 pole positions
Founded ‘Pace (Performance, Analysis, Competitive Edge) Motorsport’ -
• Providing a fresh and innovative set of solutions to performance analysis and engineering support
SWRT Performance Analysis Engineer for 18 months (2006-2008) -
• Developed the SWRT Launch strategy to be visibly the fastest in the WRC.
• Developed and perfected advanced grip analysis techniques that would subsequently be used on the MiniWRC development programme.
Senior Engineer in the SWRT Customer Team -
• Part of the French Tarmac Championship winning team in inaugural season as Rally Engineer in 2002
• Occasional secondments to SWRT to assist on WRC and promotional events
• Engineer for the FFSA Young Driver Programme in 2003/4 (Stephane Sarrazin)
• 6 WRC Events with the S10 car during 2005 (RED-Olsbergs, Tobias Johansson)
• Promoted to Senior Engineer in early 2006
SWRT Design Engineer -
• Designed the first ever carbon fibre floor mounted pedal box
• Groundbreaking design of front cross-member with steering rack as a stressed member
At Pace we are passionate about the industry we work in and the cars we work on.
With Pace, your team will achieve its objectives, and understand why, so that you are able to do it again next season!
So get in contact – and get on the Pace…